Thursday 18 June 2015

Dr. Blazer's recommendations for parents...



Dr. Blazer’s Advice to Parents for trips to the dentist

   I am a family dentist, and I treat a lot of children in my practice.  Unlike most pediatric dentists, who typically won’t allow a parent to accompany the child into the treatment area, I encourage parents to come back with their child.  I want parents to see the steps we take (which, by the way, we use for adults too) to make the dental appointment stress and pain free.

   Unfortunately,  I’m confronted daily with well-meaning parents who unknowingly do all the wrong things to prepare their child for a dental visit.  With that in mind, I would like to give some suggestions on how to prepare your child for a dental visit.


Rule #1:  Do not discuss with your child what you think they will experience at the dental visit.  Your prejudices will show through no matter how much you try to hide it.  Let us do it, we will do it better!

Rule #2:  Schedule your appointment for a time when you think your child will have the most patience and give them a healthy snack before the appointment.    You know your own child.  Hungry and tired children are less cooperative for mom and dad, why would you expect them to be better for me?  I have a fridge with healthy drinks and snacks in my waiting room and patients are welcome to help themselves when they arrive.

Rule #3:  If you think you are not going to be able to handle seeing your child have dental treatment done, don’t come back into the treatment area.   We will take good care of him and come out to update you periodically during the procedure.  I have had to quickly pull a child out of the dental chair to get his dad to lie down before he passed out from watching me remove a tooth on his son!  By the way, his son was most upset about me interrupting the movie he was watching!

Rule #4:  Never talk about your negative dental visits you may have experienced in the past, especially during your child’s dental visit!  Dentistry has changed a lot since you were a kid.  Don’t pass your prejudices onto your child!

Rule #5:  Never use “going to the dentist” as a threat.  Believe it or not, I’ve had parents tell their children to behave or they were going to make me give him a shot!   I’ve had parents tell the child if they don’t brush their teeth, the dentist was going to hurt them.  How am I to gain your child’s trust if he hears comments like that from you?

Finally, I would tell you to take the time to talk to your dentist about your own fears.  Perhaps watching your child have a positive dental experience might just convince you to get back in the dental chair!  Checkout my Google Plus reviews from patients, many of them initially fearful and now appreciative of the care they’ve received. 


No comments:

Post a Comment